Saturday, January 7, 2012

Shrimp and Cheese Grits

I have made this recipe a few times based on a recipe from Martha Stewart Living Magazine, but I think I figured out my own version.


Shrimp and Cheese Grits
1 Large Serving


8-10 medium shrimp de-veined and shells removed
1 tsp Cajun seasoning
2 strips bacon chopped
1 celery rib diced
1/2 large bell pepper diced
1 small onion diced
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 tbsp flour
juice of one small lemon
Salt
Pepper
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
quick cooking grits

1. Place the shrimp in a bowl, and season with Cajun seasoning. Set aside.

2. Cook the bacon. Once it is crisp, remove from pan and set aside on a paper towel lined plate. Leave 2 tablespoons of bacon grease in the pan.

3. Add the celery, bell pepper, and onion to the pan, and cook in the bacon grease until softened.

4. Once the vegetables are softened, add the shrimp. Cook the shrimp for 1-2 minutes, or until the shrimp start to become pink. Add the the flour, and cook one minute, coating the vegetables and shrimp.

5. Add the chicken broth and lemon juice to the pan. Continue to cook until the shrimp are cooked through, and the mixture becomes bubbly and thickened. Add and salt and pepper to taste.

6. While the shrimp cook, prepare one serving of quick cooking grits according to the package directions. Once the grits are cooked, stir in the cheese.

7. After the shrimp mixture has thickened, pour over the grits and sprinkle the bacon bits on top. Serve.

Note: I use Better than Bouillon reconstituted as the chicken stock. I have found that it is easier to keep the bouillon paste on hand and make stock according to the directions on the jar than keeping cans or containers of chicken stock on hand.

I forgot to sprinkle my bacon bits on top, and I ended up eating them after I polished off this bowl of deliciousness...

No comments:

Post a Comment