Sunday, August 7, 2011

Instant Grill Food Adventure

Last weekend, the motor and blower wheel to the air conditioner died, and I am still waiting for the parts to come in to be replaced. I have since had friends help me put in a window air conditioner to keep me cooled in the mean time. Since I didn't want to cook inside, and heat up the house, I decided to use an instant grill that my parents gave me for Christmas six years ago. They won it at a church auction. To get it going, I lit a match and caught the paper that surrounded the charcoal on fire:
Once the paper had burned away, the directions said to let the coals get hot for 15 minutes. Then I put a skillet steak I marinated briefly in A1 along with some foil wrapped potatoes on it to cook:
Super fancy set-up--I didn't have a table I thought would be fire proof to set it on, so on the cement slab it went.

Close-up. I don't know how this could be useful if you had to feed more than one person. I guess everyone would have to eat in shifts or one course at a time.
The grill did a fine job cooking my skillet steak which then became a hamburger. It needed more char, and it seemed like it steamed the meat more than anything, but I also didn't want to eat a charred hockey puck:

I underestimated the heat of the grill and left my potatoes on a bit too long:
The directions said the instant grill would stay hot for 90 minutes, and I definitely underestimated its potential. Now, I really want to experiment with a real grill...

No comments:

Post a Comment