Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Soft Shell Crabs and Rutabega Hash

The month of August has been busy (to say the least). The return of "Doug" has caused a lot of excitement:
 

 But I have been able to cook a few things including soft shell crabs:
The ones I bought came individually wrapped in cellophane.
The eyes were clipped off and they were mostly gutted. I took the think top shell off and made sure most of the guts were removed.
Prior to frying, I coated them in pancake mix (Bisquick). While they fry, you have to be careful for popping since the claws have a lot of water in them.
Frying away!
Gratuitous Close-up!

Ready-to eat!

I ate them on top of a ciabatta roll with a little bit of ketchup and a side of rutabaga hash. To make the hash, I shredded the rutabaga using my Kitchenaid mixer attachment, and cooked it in a little oil with lots of Old Bay seasoning. I think it might be my new favorite type of hash.

No comments:

Post a Comment