Sunday, July 24, 2011

Cape Charles, VA Food Adventure

My friends Vincent and Kevin have been talking about going to Gull Hummock Gourmet Market for wine and cheese and eating lunch at Aqua in Cape Charles, Virginia, located on the Chesapeake Bay on the Eastern Shore of Virginia for quite awhile.  So Saturday, we loaded into the car, and embarked on our food adventure, and what a wonderful day it was! We stopped at Gull Hummock first for wine and cheese since they wanted to make sure we didn't miss it before they closed.

Upon entering Gull Hummock, we were greeted by the lovely people who run it, and we began sampling the freshly baked bread made locally that is sold there. They samples of sweet and savory breads. The best was the cinnamon peach bread. I had to control myself with that stuff--I could have devoured the entire loaf they had. The woman who makes the cinnamon peach bread was testing out this particular recipe, and I hope she makes it a regular staple of hers. Once we meandered to the back the store, the wine tasting began. They had a few cheeses to sample along with the wine. Gull Hummock has started carrying more gluten-free items, and organic fruit preserves. We tried the blueberry preserves, which were fantastic.
Bread made locally in Cape Charles and sold at Gull Hummock. Sooo...goood...crusty on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside.
Once we made our purchases at Gull Hummock, we made our way to Aqua, a lovely restaurant on the Chesapeake Bay.
It was really hot out, at least 100 degrees, and we opted not to eat outside, even though the view was marvelous.


We made our way inside, and ordered some cocktails.
I ordered the Ruby Red? (I don't remember the exact name), but it is the drink in the back left hand corner. I had to resist chugging it...it was crisp, fruity, and refreshing. Exactly what was needed to beat the heat.
We decided to start with a pound of steamed shrimp. They were steamed with Old Bay seasoning, carrots, celery, and onion. I don't think I ever want to eat a steamed carrot without Old Bay ever again :).
For our entries, Kevin ordered the Grilled Mahi-Mahi Soft Tacos:
I ordered the Grilled Open-Face Tuna Sandwich with Greek pasta salad:
Vincent ordered the Classic Blue Cheese Salad:
Hannah ordered the Signature Crab Cake sandwich:
For dessert we split the truffles:
And the fuzzy navel cheesecake:
Everything eaten at Aqua was great. I felt like I was on vacation even though we were less than forty minutes from where we live. After we were all deliriously full, we headed back to sit on Kevin and Vincent's front porch to sample some more wine and cheese.


A much needed rainstorm was the highlight of the night, and I enjoyed saying at one point that I felt kind of cold from the rain. We were all surprised it rained longer than 20 minutes, and it was the perfect ending to a great day :).



4 comments:

  1. This is a great post!! The photos do well to show the perks of Cape Charles!
    DELIGHTFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree about old bay. it is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great review on Aqua! Aren't the mahi tacos awesome?

    Friend us on Facebook! www.facebook.com/BayCreekResortandClub

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish I could have joined the crew, but looks like a blast!...CK

    ReplyDelete