Monday, July 25, 2011

Summer Time = BLTs

Growing up, we would have to ask permission to fry bacon in the house because my mom couldn't stand the lingering smell of bacon. I can sympathize now since bacon grease isn't that much fun to clean up, but eating the bacon is worth it. My beefsteak tomatoes have been coming in from the garden, and they have made the juiciest addition to a BLT. So far, I've made BLTs twice using my tomatoes and here are the results:
This has been the best tomato of the summer. I drool looking at it while sending vibes to the beefmaster tomato plants to keep growing big ones...
The perfect BLT tomato--as big as the slice of bread. This is non-fancy grocery store bacon.

It talks to me...

I decided to get fancy and make a BLT with an heirloom tomato, the rustic bread from my Cape Charles adventure, and I splurged and bought fancy bacon made locally.

This one says, "I'm fancy." The fancy local bacon is definitely good, but not worth it to me to buy all of the time. I also am not planning on growing that heirloom tomato variety next year. They're better than what you can get in the store, but it cannot compete with the beefmaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment