Thursday, July 7, 2011

Iowa Food Recap

I spent the last week at my parents house in Iowa where I grew up, and I was fortunate enough to partake in some delicious food, including a Dutch Letter Taste Off from the Pella, IA bakeries:

Option #1 and the subsequent winner.
Option #2, which needed more crunchy sugar on top and and flakier pastry
Additional bakery delights
Bacon and Jalapeno"Gooners" from the Downtown Des Moines Farmer's Market. Instead of crab rangoon, this particular stand had other flavors besides crab.
Fried morel mushrooms and sweet corn. The corn had been picked that morning--the only way to eat sweet corn.
The Better Homes and Gardens Melt from Jethro's BBQ in Des Moines.
Charred s'mores in the backyard.
What an excellent break from non-stop writing. This is only the highlights. I also got some cooking ideas from my sister that I can't wait to try. Tomorrow: Baseball game food

No comments:

Post a Comment