Monday, October 3, 2011

Homemade Hamburger Helper

Growing up, Hamburger Helper was never something my parents would make for dinner. Once I was on my own, I decided to try it to see what I was missing. After a few times making it for myself, I realized I wasn't missing anything. To me something about the sauce and noodles just isn't good. Eventually, I came up with my own homemade version that is everything I wished Hamburger Helper was, and it doesn't take any more time than actual Hamburger Helper.

Homemade Hamburger helper
Serves 2

1 cup dried elbow macaroni noodles or shells
1/2 pound lean ground sirloin (93/7)
1/2 medium onion, diced
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp chili powder
Freshly ground pepper
1 8oz can tomato sauce
1 cup shredded cheese (I prefer extra sharp cheddar)
French's Friend Onions

1. Cook the noodles according to package directions. Drain, and set aside.
2. While the noodles cook, brown the ground beef with the diced onion. Drain the fat from the meat.
3. Once the meat has been drained, add the tomato sauce, chili powder, smoked paprika, and black pepper. Bring to a simmer.
4. After the sauce has simmered, add the cheese and noodles. Stir until the cheese melts.
5. Top with French's Fried Onions


I may add more than 1 tablespoon of chili powder, so add more to taste.
I don't think ground beef ever looks attractive, but this does look better than real Hamburger Helper.
The best part is the French's Fried onions on top. I have to stop myself from eating the whole can when I use them.

No comments:

Post a Comment