Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Slow Cooker Pumpkin Chili

I noticed I was late on all of the pumpkin recipes this fall, but I did run across a pumpkin chili recipe that I modified slightly. I love the spicy notes from the chipotle chiles, but you really can't taste the pumpkin. I tend to prefer meaty chili instead of chili with lots of beans. I didn't save the link to the recipe that inspired me, but here is how I made mine:


Slow Cooker Pumpkin Chili
Serves 4

1 tbsp olive oil
1 lb 90/10 ground beef
1 medium onion diced
1 can pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
1 can cannellini beans
1 can petite diced tomatoes
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1 1/2 cups beef broth
1/4 cup diced roasted red pepper
1/4 cup pureed chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (around two peppers and 2 tbsp adobo sauce)
Shredded cheddar cheese for topping

1. Add olive oil to a skillet on medium heat to soften onion. Once onion is translucent, add ground beef and brown. Once the meat is no longer pink, drain the excess grease from the meat.
2. Combine the pumpkin, beans, spices, broth, red pepper, and chipotle peppers in a slow cooker. Add the onions and beef. Stir to combine.
3. Cook in the slow cooker on low for 4-5 hours or on high for 2-3 hours. Top with shredded cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment