Thursday, September 8, 2011

Fig, Feta, and Carmelized Onion Pizza

My dad got his first job at one of his company's research stations in a small town in Louisiana. We moved from Louisiana before I turned four, but I still remember the figs that grew in the area. When I moved to Virginia, I somehow found the same type of figs growing here that I remembered from Louisiana. When I was out and about recently, I found a roadside produce stand selling figs. The woman running the stand told me about this fig and caramelized onion pizza, and I was drooling before I had finished paying for my figs. I looked around online to see how other people have made this pizza, and I gave it a try.

I was a little nervous about how it would taste, so I made a backup pizza as well. I made my own dough using a recipe similar to this one from Epicurious. I split my dough into fourths, and made two small pizzas. For the fig pizza, I caramelized the onions first, and combined them with feta, dried thyme, and halved fresh figs.
Back-up black olive, sausage, and green pepper pizza.
Gratuitous close-up
The figs softened slightly from baking, and overall, it was pretty good. I think the key to fresh figs is when they are almost over ripe. These were good, but weren't as sweet as I remember.

2 comments:

  1. Katie:
    here is another fig and carmelized onion recipe for an appetizer. carmelize onions. cut fig in half. put some cream cheese on top of the fig, then put some carmelized onions on top of the cream cheese, then eat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the appetizer suggestion! I need to find some more fresh figs somewhere, but they are starting to become scarce here in Virginia :(

    ReplyDelete