Saturday, September 17, 2011

Hurricane Food

This is old news, but we survived Hurricane Irene. I was paranoid we would lose power, so I took advantage of a working kitchen prior to the hurricane coming through by making eggs and biscuits for breakfast:
I used the biscuit supreme recipe from Better Homes and Gardens, and I added cheese and ham to the eggs.

For dinner, I decided to use the flank steak I had in the freezer just in case we didn't have use of a freezer for a few days. I used it to make a matambre, which is an Argentinian rolled and stuffed flank steak. The recipe I followed came from Gourmet Magazine, but this recipe from the Food Network is similar. Mine was stuffed with spinach, bacon, and carrots:
I forgot to take a picture of what it looked like on the inside...you'll have to take my word for it that it was beautiful :)
It may seem like a lot of work to make one of these, but it is so good. We also had a few guests for the hurricane including Rum Tum Tugger:
She made camp in the garage since the varmint below would have harassed her the entire weekend.
And Casey, the pug who can't sit still:
She really just needs obedience training...

No comments:

Post a Comment