Sunday, May 8, 2011

Chincoteague Seafood Festival

I am currently living in Norfolk, Virignia, and I heard about the Chincoteague Seafood Festival and decided I had to go! It was an all you can eat event that featured seafood from the area including steamed and raw clams, fried oysters and clams, fried fish (drum), clam chowder, and clam and oyster fritters. There were side dishes to accompany the seafood as well.
My friend and I decided to go, and when we got there, it was better than I had imagined it would be! We also realized we needed to have brought our own trays to carry our food around. Luckily, I was able to score this box from the sweet potato fries stand :). Pictured are clam strips and fried fish. The cornbread pictured wasn't that good. This box was round 3 of 4...my camera was low on battery, so I wasn't able to get a picture of the steamed clams, which were the best part of the day!
Once we left the seafood festival, I remembered that one of the local restaurants along the road sold Smith Island Babycakes, and I decided that's what I wanted for dinner (not a smart choice, but a delicious one :). We stopped and this is what I picked up:

The cake on the left is oreo, and the cake on the right is coconut. I had the oreo one first:
It turned out to be four layers of cake. It was delicious, but I think it was made with a boxed cake mix and canned frosting. I can always go for boxed cake, but I would be curious to know what a made from scratch Smith Island cake tastes like (Click this link for more information about Smith Island Cakes).

No comments:

Post a Comment