Thursday, May 26, 2011

A portrait of a Pork Shoulder Picnic Roast

I recently decided I wanted to cook a pork should roast. My friend always talked about cooking a pork shoulder and using the meet for tacos. I found a recipe in Joy of Cooking and you can see more pictures of it and where to find the recipe in the cookbook itself here. My slow cooker ended up being too small for the almost 6lb roast that I purchased, so I had to improvise:
The lid appears to be on all the way, but it definitely is not, and all of the heat was escaping.
My solution to the problem: two sheets of aluminum foil and the lid to my roasting pan.
Here is the final result after I took the meat off the bone. I also poured the sauce through a fine mesh sieve. That may have been a bad idea because it seemed to lose some of the flavor. The reason I poured it through the sieve was to get out some of the fatty bits, but that was probably where all the flavor was. oops.
The recipe called to pour the sauce over buttered noodles with the meat. I decided I wanted roasted potatoes instead.
For the first round of leftovers, I decided to make mini quesadillas using corn tortillas, the meat, sauce, and some cheddar/Gruyere blend cheese.
For the second round of leftovers, I made enchiladas using the sauce, meat, and a pre-shredded Mexican blend cheese. The sauce had the consistency of jello at this point, but I knew that it would warm up and look more like sauce once it was baked:
This turned out to be one of the better uses of leftovers, and next time I won't strain out the extra stuff--it needed additional flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment