Friday, May 13, 2011

Food Memory Friday--Park Bench Guac

Each Friday, I am going to write about a food memory. As I go through my pictures on my computer, I find that I have a lot of pictures of food that I have made or eaten on trips or at family gatherings.

This first post for food memory Friday comes from my time in France during the summer of 2004. I spent close to two months traveling and taking classes while I was an undergrad. My cousin was living and working in the Czech Republic during that same summer, and he came for a long weekend visit. On one of the days of his visit, we decided to walk about town (Lyon), and get a picnic lunch for the park. We ended up getting cheese, bread, fruit, meat for me, taco chips, and the ingredients for guacamole. I convinced him we didn't need a lime to mash everything together, so we substituted a bit of his beer instead. Here is evidence of our process:
I had a Swiss Army knife with me, so we used that to cut up the avocado and the tomato. Once everything was cut up, we poured a little beer into, and I mashed up the avocado as best as I could with my knife. My cousin was more than a little skeptical about the whole thing, but it turned out to be some of the best guacamole I've ever had. Every now and then, if I have a beer open, I'll add a little of it to the guacamole. The beer adds a bit of tang that complements the avocado. Give it a try if you don't have a fresh lime or lime juice on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment