Friday, May 27, 2011

Food Memory Friday--Campfire Goodies

Last summer my sister got married, and my dad's side of the family reconvened after the wedding in Red Wing, Minnesota for a family reunion. Whenever we have these reunions, we rent some sort of vacation home that can accommodate 15-20 people. The house that we rented had a fire pit where we spent a few evenings roasting things:
In the picture above I am roasting a marshmallow for a s'more. I have found the secret to roasting marshmallows over an open flame is to take your time. I have made my fair share of burnt marshmallows that turn out to make delicious s'mores, but if you take your time to toast the marshmallow so that it almost falls off the roasting stick, it makes an ooey, gooey delicious treat. Once the marshmallow is toasted, the best way to get it off the stick is to use the chocolate to push the marshmallow off. Using the chocolate to push the marshmallow off onto the graham cracker also forces the chocolate in the middle of the marshmallow, which causes the chocolate to melt. Sooooo goooood.
In addition to the s'mores, my parents also brought campfire pie makers. In the picture above, the peanut butter, banana, and chocolate pie is shown a long with a s'more. The campfire pie may have beat out the s'more in taste :).

No comments:

Post a Comment