Friday, May 20, 2011

Food Memory Friday--Family Reunion Pizza Party

I finally polished off the delicious leftovers from last Saturday's pizza party, and it reminded me of the pizza nights we have at our family reunions. My aunt is always in charge of the dough. On the day of the pizza night, she usually starts the dough that morning so it can double rise during the day. Since there will usually be around 15 people at these reunions, we usually make around 8 pizzas.
My aunt (foreground) and my sister (to the right of my aunt) spreading dough in pans.
Adding some toppings. We were in Pacifica, California (Summer 2007) at this particular reunion, so we were using a lot of locally grown produce for these particular pizzas. When my aunt is in charge, we usually don't add a lot of sauce, if any sauce to the pizzas, but I like it that way.
Pretty pesto pizza
Waiting for round one of eating to begin. As you can see, everyone already got into some beers and wine.



The best topping combination my aunt has come up with is smoked salmon with cheese, cilantro and fresh sweet corn. My cousin and his family live in Alaska, and they usually bring smoked salmon that they catch and smoke themselves. Since my immediate family lives in Iowa, my dad will bring the sweet corn we use for the smoked salmon pizza. Just thinking about smoked salmon pizza has made me reconsider what I am cooking for dinner tonight...

No comments:

Post a Comment