Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Summer Garden 2011

This year I am able to actually have a garden with plants in the ground and not in plastic 5-gallon buckets. Below is my first attempt at growing anything edible:

This was at the end of the summer in Las Cruces, New Mexico after a hail/thunderstorm at either the end of September or in early October. I also think there were tornado warnings. Anyway, I think my two plants produced 2 small tomatoes and a handful of cherry tomatoes. I blame too much heat, not enough water, bad soil, and not enough fertilizer for my low crop yield. Oops.

This summer, I kind of went out of control at the garden center. I ended up getting 5 tomato varieties (20 plants, but 8 were given to someone else), 4 bell pepper plants, two eggplants (one regular and one Japanese variety), and cucumbers. Here is the garden when everything was first planted:
Tomatoes
Peppers and Eggplant

I was able to put everything in the ground at the beginning of April. Here is what everything looks like around one month later:
Tomatoes growing! AND they're flowering!
Shadow self portrait! Eggplant in foreground, peppers in background. They're getting ready to flower!
I'm hoping to make lots of gazpacho, tomato salads, and BLT's this summer. I'll keep you posted :).

No comments:

Post a Comment