Sunday, June 5, 2011

Gyros and Homemade Pita Bread

I really feel like I should rename this blog Bananas for Cooking Light! I've been making a lot of their recipes lately, and whenever I am looking to try something new, I usually go to one of my Cooking Light cookbooks or their website. The recipe for gyros that I use from Cooking Light is so good--to me it really does taste like a gyro you can get at a restaurant. You end up making loaves of meat from ground lamb and beef, so it isn't thin shaved meat from a restaurant, but to me it has the same flavor. I've made this particular recipe before for gyros, but I decided to try making my own pita bread this time around.

The whole wheat pita bread recipe I used came from Gourmet and it's fairly easy. The recipe for the pita bread can be found at epicurious.com. After trying out this recipe, I decided it was good, but not always worth the effort if I need pita bread. the big problem I had was placing the rolled out dough directly onto my oven rack. The dough hung through the rack, and some of the edges were burned on the heating element. I wondered if this would work better if you used a pizza stone to cook the pitas on. Here was the result of my pita adventure:
These were the pretty two, and the pita in front puffed up the best. You can sort of seen the one in the back hanging over the edge.
Two from the first round that didn't turn out so pretty--the burnt edges are from the heating element.
This pita ended up oddly shaped, and the pocket never really formed to stuff the gyro into. It still tasted just fine even though I had to use a fork to eat it with :).

No comments:

Post a Comment