Thursday, June 9, 2011

Summer Garden Update: Preventative Measures

Well, something chewed off, took one bite, and then discarded the baby eggplant I had growing...I wasn't pleased. So, off to the hardware store I went to buy fencing to block out whatever critter tested the eggplant:
Chewed stem....
One bite and then discarded....
Hello fencing! The "X" is to keep the door stable, and maybe if backyard critters can read, they will know not to go back there.
Super fancy hook to keep the door closed...yes that is duct tape holding it there.
It was 94 degrees on Wednesday in Virginia, and I created this masterpiece around 6:30pm to beat the heat. On Wednesday morning when I discovered the violated eggplant, I also ran into this creature:


When we first spotted each other, my gut reaction in my head was: "I hope he doesn't charge and bite me."

My next thought was: "Why in the world would a turtle charge and bite me?" Well, after our first encounter, I rushed into the house to get my camera, and I found him lurking around the pepper and eggplant plants. I was paranoid he would start munching on them, and I tried to chase him away, which resulted in him retreating into his shell:
He wasn't too thrilled for his glamour shot to be taken--I didn't give him enough time to get ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment